Adam Baker’s IMPACT is the fourth of a series of independent novels set during the same zombie apocalypse. In IMPACT, the crew of a B-52 bomber revs up for its last mission–to drop a 10-kiloton nuke on a remote site in Death Valley. But the plane crashes, stranding the crew in the middle of one of the most inhospitable places on Earth. And they’re not alone.
I’ve read every one of his books and can safely call myself a fan at this point. In each of his books, you know you’re going to get:
* Group of macho, highly capable people stuck in a remote, no-win survival situation
* They get cut off from their base of operations, which has its own problems
* The world is ending due to the spread of a zombie virus that is original and well drawn
* Environment that is as menacing as the zombies
* Double crosses and power struggles among the survivors
* A little glimmer of hope
It’s a high-octane cocktail, and Baker delivers it well. I’m already looking forward to his next. Recommended for fans of zombie fiction that blends great survival and thriller elements.