Chris Marrs and I enjoyed a great visit with Can-Con, the Canadian Sci-Fi & Fantasy Convention, in beautiful Ottawa last weekend. ONE OF US was up for an Aurora Award for Best Novel, and while it didn’t win, we had a great time connecting with Canada’s speculative fiction writing community.
Here are the winners–check them out!
• Best Novel: Armed in Her Fashion by Kate Heartfield, ChiZine Publications
• Best YA Novel: Cross Fire: An Exo Novel by Fonda Lee, Scholastic Press
• Best Short Fiction: “Gods, Monsters, and the Lucky Peach” by Kelly Robson, Tor.com Publications
• Best Graphic Novel: It Never Rains by Kari Maaren, Webcomic
• Best Poem/Song: Ursula Le Guin in the Underworld by Sarah Tolmie, On Spec issue 107 vol 28.4
• Best Related Work: Disabled People Destroy Science Fiction edited by Dominik Parisien and Elsa Sjunneson-Henry, Uncanny Magazine
• Best Visual Presentation: Deadpool 2, written and produced by Ryan Reynolds, Twentieth Century Fox
• Best Artist: Samantha M. Beiko, covers for Laksa Media
• Best Fan Writing and Publication: She Wrote It But…Revisiting Joanna Russ’ “How to Suppress Women’s Writing” 35 Years Later, Krista D. Ball
• Best Fan Organizational: Derek Künsken and Marie Bilodeau, co-chairs, Can*Con, Ottawa
• Best Fan Related Work: Edward Willett, The Worldshapers (Podcast)