Happy Amexit Day, America!
FW.com published an article listing 10 things you may not know about this iconic American holiday. Here are a few:
* America declared independence on July 2, not July 4 (it was published in the newspapers July 4)
* Green was the original color of the holiday
* Revolutionary War cannon would be fired during the holiday until they fell apart and became replaced by fireworks
* Irving Berlin’s famous song “God Bless America” sat in his reject pile for 20 years until Kate Smith found and sang it on the radio as World War II broke out
* The modern American flag was created as a high school project–a student was assigned to create a new national banner that would recognize Alaska and Hawaii as new states, which earned him a B-; he sent it to President Eisenhower, who adopted it (and resulted in the kid getting an A)
See the complete list here.